Monday, October 8, 2007

The Perils of the Nightshift

Today is serving as a reminder for me of how out of sync my life is with the rest of the world.

As some of you might know I work nights. I have for the last 5 years. I personally love it. I have always been a night person. I sleep just fine during the day(blackout liners and dark drapes.) But here it is 9:30 am on Monday morning. My work week is over. I am about to head to bed. I don't go back 'til Friday evening.

The big problem is that my NEW washer is on the fritz. When can the repairman come out? This afternoon between 1-5pm. That is like having someone come to your house between 3-7 am. I have to leave my ringer on today. Which I never do. Because at some point in my prime sleeping time a repairman from Sears is coming to my house.

Other odd things about night shift: For me it is still Sunday. I got up and went to work on Sunday and it will remain Sunday "til I sleep. I say goodmorning to people at 7pm and goodnight at 7am. I have been known to go to a bar at 7:30 in the morning. Some may ask what kinda of bar is open at 7 am? Not a good one, let me tell you. There is nothing more obscene than walking out of a dark, cave-like dive bar after drinking off a bad, bad night in emgerency medicine than to have the bright noon time sun hit you square in the face. We have looked like vampires from B movies covering our eyes and cowering away from the blinding rays.

Goodthings about nightshift. I get paid more to do the same work and the bosses are not there to look over your shoulder. When I grocery shop at 2 am, I am the only one in the store. The internet is always open. People don't call and interrupt me writing at 3 am on my days off.

This just a skewed, sleep deprived glimpse into my life.

No comments: