Thursday, March 6, 2008

Thursday Thirteen 3/3/08



Since we moved this week. I thought that my Thursday Thirteen should have something to do with that. 13 reasons I have packing tape..., no, 13 reasons to pay for professionals..., I got it.

13 things I can not imagine why we still own or ever got at all.

1. A 2003 Drug Guide, and a 2004, 2005, two from 2006, and 2007. I swear they send me a new one every time I get a new nursing magazine.

2. Suede skirt from my senior year of high scchool. No, it doesn't still fit. But somehow I can't get rid of it either.

3. Plastic cups from Disney Animal Kingdom. We went 2 years ago. They have not been used since we came home. And why did I get the one with the elephant on it.

4. Breadmaker, never used. At least 4 years old. My husband asked why I didn't use it. I told him that I didn't have a book for it. He says, "You just push the button, french bread, sweet bread ... , and one for how dark you want the crust." Might have to poison his bread.

5. Cotton candy machine. I bought this in a moment of weakness in Wal-mart. I love cotton candy, and usually only get some once a year at the fair. And it really is a good treat. There is only like 50 calories in a bag of cotton candy. But that thing in a pain in the butt to use.

6. Six plastic glasses that Carnival Cruise lines filled with the drink of the day. At least 3-5 years old. Used maybe once since we have been home.

7. Approximately 3000 feet of cable or wire. Phone cable, ethernet cable, coxial cable, usb cables to devices we no longer have, but can I find the one for the camera, no. Or the electric cord for the portable dvd player.

8. Dayplanner from 2003-2004. Why is this still in my house? Better question, why did it get moved to the new house?

9. Five sets of wine glasses. I hate wine. Hubby drinks maybe 3 bottles a year. I know 3 sets have never been used. For Christmas 4 years ago, I got 4 sets of wine glasses. I also have champagne flutes, mojito glasses, margarita, glasses, martini glasses, beer pilsner glasses and mugs. And I am far more likely to drink from a plastic cup than anything else.

10. Hot rollers. My set from high school. They still work too. But my hair is about 2 and a half inches long and has been for the last 2 years.

11. Records. With Dick Clark's weekly music countdown on them. My husband won them from the radio station in the mid 80's. We don't have a turntable.

12. Multiple copies of multiple books. Now that they are all together in the same room, I might finally be able to cull the herd. Which will kill me, because, I can't bear to get rid of any books, even when I take them to Goodwill or the used bookstore. Because, they are mine, dang it.

13. Print scrubs, I haven't been allowed to wear prints in 2 years, but I refuse to give up Mr. Potatohead or the fish riding motorcycles, or the bugs doing magic tricks, or, or. Okay, so I have a lot of clothes that I no longer wear.

So, what is still hanging around your house that you should have got ridden of years ago, or better yet can't figure out why you got it in the first place. And don't get me started on my husband's collection of art, some of the lithographs are still in the cardboard packing tube they were shipped home in.



11 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ha! I can't part with my records either even though I can't listen to them. LOL!

Tara S Nichols said...

I've got the five sets of wine glasses too. Wedding gifts. but the cotton candy machine is a winner!

Jennifer McKenzie said...

I would FILL YOUR COMMENTS SECTION with all the junk I don't know why we still have.
*shakes head* I can so relate to this.

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

Number 7 reminds me of cleaning out the basement storage locker after my dad died. I threw away tons of cable, nylon rope (from a boat sold a decade earlier!), large containers of nuts, screws, nails and bolts. There were three tackle boxes and at least that many tool boxes as well. The tackle went to a half-sibling who fished; the tools were divided between a friend who had bought a house and the maintenance guy. I also tend to find duplicate books in the TBR pile, and always send the extras to friends.

Paige Tyler said...

Too funny!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

Tempest Knight said...

Yep, it's amazing how much knick-knacks one collects over the years. Hehehe!

Lia said...

The knick-knacks aren't mine. I collect books and technology and music(almost every cd in the house is mine. My husband has paintings, pottery, glass and metal.

Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said...

Isn't it amazing how much crap we accumulate? And you know the year after you throw it out, the exact same item will sell for a fortune on Ebay!

Kathleen Oxley said...

LOL. I love this list!! (And, I'd be scared to write the similar one for my house.) I have the same problem with wire - my husband never wants to throw any of it away - and yet when we need something, he goes to Best Buy instead of diggin through the tangled mess *rolls eyes*.

Happy TT!
:) Kat
My TT is here.

Gwen Mitchell said...

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one that seems to be a magnet for plastic cups! lol. I guess that's one thing about hiring movers - if they pack, they pack EVERYTHING and you don't get to sift through your stuff and decide what to get rid of. I can totally relate on the skirt too ... I have a bin of clothes that I'm not ready to part with yet. LOL

I'll take the martini glasses . . .

Happy TT!