Thursday, December 6, 2007

Thursday Thirteen December 6, 2007


Everyone knows that one of the best things about Christmas is eating. There are certain things that my family only make or buy at Christmas time. They always bring that feeling to mind if I happen to sneak them in some other time.

1. Peppermint. I used to get a huge candycane every year. My brother and I would eat peppermint until the first of Feburary. I still think of Christmas when I eat peppermint.

2. Sugar Cookies. I only make them once a year with my nephews and neice. All iced by hand some of them looking quite inedible.

3. Maple glazed Ham. Ok. We make this more than once a year, but it is still pretty special.

4. Fudge. This is truly a diabetic coma waiting to happen. It just melts in your mouth. You might swear that you are only going to have one piece, but I can never stop, can you?



5. Rum Balls. The best part is knowing the rum isn't cooked out and watching my teetotalling aunt go back for seconds or thirds.



6. Eggnog. I wouldn't drink it any other time of year, but at Christmas it just fits.



7. Fruitcake. Not that crap that has been recycled and regifted for years, but fresh fruitcake.



8. Hot Chocolate. Made with half and half, real chocolate, and marshmellows. Raises my cholesterol just thinking about it.



9. Pecan Crisps. My grandmother's recipe. These melt in your mouth too. Rich, buttery, and covered in powdered sugar.



10. Buckeyes. Peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate.



11. White chocolate covered pretzels. Sweet and salty. Ummm, good.



12. Ribbon candy. Really it doesn't even taste that good. But it sure is festive and I only every see it at Christmas.



13. Gingerbread. Just a little nibble off the gingerbread house. Christmas isn't complete without it.

8 comments:

Kaige said...

Mmm... I'm hungry now! I haven't had rum balls in ages... I only make sugar cookies once a year too.. too much trouble. Thanks for a fun list!

Mine's up over at: http://impulsivehearts.wordpress.com

Jennifer Shirk said...

MMm...Buckeyes sound good.
Yeah, Ribbon Candy is just okay, but there's something about it that makes you think "Christmas". :)

Anonymous said...

I love rum balls. I'll even eat the regifted fruitcake if you put enough booze on it.

Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said...

I WANT you rum ball recipe! I love 'em, but no one else here does. Lucky girl.

Debbie Mumford said...

Mmmmm...my mouth is watering just reading your post...must find peppermint...

Unknown said...

Yummy. There are only a few things my family has come to expect at Christmas. Haystacks and Sugar Cookies. Chocolate Intials in their stockings and Candy Canes on the tree.

Happy Holidays!

Unknown said...

I agree - I don't really like ribbon candy, but it does look festive! Rum balls and rum in the eggnog - I'm beginning to realize why the holidays can sometimes be a blur! Good list.

Heather said...

How did I miss this last week? Yummy topic! I love gingerbread, fudge, and hot chocolate, but haven't really been able to eat Candy Canes since college. Receiving thirty in one day'll do that to you. lol :-\