Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Thursday Thirteen 12/20/07


Thirteen Christmas gifts I have loved, one I still love, and another that helped foster a love that I still have.


1. I loved these when I was a kid. Even when they were my brother's present I still loved to play with them.



2. Come on, who doesn't love a slinky.


3. A doll that was almost as much work as a real baby.


4. A suitable home for any well dressed Barbie. None of my Barbies could wear shoes because our cat thought Barbie was his chew toy. BTW, Barbie was having an affair with my brother's G.I. Joe.




5. I loved LiteBrite, but it was how I first discovered that I was a bit anal retentive. I had to keep the pegs organized.


6. I think we always had an Etchasketch in the house. I think Mom may still have one for the grandkids.


7. Colorforms were so much fun. They fostered the imagination. Hummm, wonder what I might need one of those for.


8. Why did we love these. They didn't do anything and were really that cute. But we just had to have them.



9. I had Rainbow Brite blankets and toys.




10. I used to sneak and play with my older sister's. Then one year, after I had lost all the parts from the old ones, I got one of my own.



11. I put some many miles on my bike, I am surprised the wheels didn't fall off. As active as I was when I was a kid, I can not figure out why I was a cubby kid.


12. One magical Christmas morning I found this under the tree. It has been all downhill since then. What? I mean all uphill since then. This might be worst, best present I ever got.


13. My husband gave me this for Christmas the year I graduated from nursing school. He put in on layaway months earlier. He actually got it from the jewlery store that is in the movie The Rainmaker.











14 comments:

Heather said...

Omigosh! I'd forgotten Spirograph. We had one of those, too. And Lite-Brite, Slinkies, Tinker Toys, Etchasketch, Colorforms... No one ever bought me a typewriter or a computer, though - lucky!

Anonymous said...

Why do the slinkies always end up a tangled mass of metal within hours? One bad slink and they're history.

Spirograph - oh, I spent hours on that one!

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Awesome Lia!!!!!! My sister just bought an etchesketch for my kids for their birthday.
I BEGGED for a Barbie Townhouse. That's one I didn't get. Probably the only one I didn't get. LOL. I was spoiled.

Regina Avalos said...

I still have my cabbage patch dolls somewhere.

Emma Petersen said...

I remember the year I got my first Cabbage Patch. Her name was Marcy. :D

Savannah Chase said...

oh my gosh, i remember those..splinky...or baby alive....awww..this brings back memories...

Have a very Merry Christmas

Debbie Mumford said...

Colorforms! OMG! I had a Sleeping Beauty set that I wore out! Ahhh, memories...

Robin L. Rotham said...

I think half that stuff was mandatory Christmas kid fare -- the Spirograph and Slinky, for sure. I can tell from the rest of them, though, that you're a few years younger than I am. ;-)

Jennifer Shirk said...

GREAT list! I really smiled at the Barbie Townhouse. I had one, too. With the elevator and everything. LOL! Loved that thing!

Kaige said...

Thanks for the great memories! I loved my spirograph too! Hated Baby Alive. She was way too "real'. My mom never got me a litebright because she'd still be finding pieces. I glare at her every time she suggests getting one for my kids. =P

Anonymous said...

I was never one for dolls, but I love/loved everything else on your list. I'd say it takes me back, we we still have all that stuff.

Paige Tyler said...

Oh yes! Slinky, Etch a Shetch and Barbie! My favorites!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

Bethanne said...

Loved that spirograph! and the lite bright? Yippee. that's wonderful.

Anonymous said...

OMG you have some of my favorite stuff!
...except baby alive. That thing totally freaked me out.